Friday, October 5, 2018

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!

I meant to post this LAST MONTH but then life got in the way. 

I definitely want to participate in Readers Imbibing Peril XIII which started waaay back on September 1 and runs through to October 31. This year it is hosted by blogger My Capricious Life.  

I mean, how could I skip this? It is the THIRTEENTH EDITION! Muwahaha!


At this point, however, I am only going to try for Peril the Third, which is to read only one book that fits within any of the following R.I.P. definitions: Mystery, Suspense, Thriller, Dark Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, or Supernatural. I think I can manage to squeeze in one book in the next three weeks. 


I am planning on reading Slade House by David Mitchell which I meant to read last year for RIP XII but didn't get to. This is also a book I have owned for a while and as usual I have to push myself to read what I own instead of becoming distracted by new books or library books.


Another October Blog-event I hope to take part in is the 1944 Club hosted by Simon at Stuck in a Book and Karen at Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings between October 15 and October 21. 

Originally I had planned to read Dangling Man by Saul Bellow but because I am currently reading Humboldt's Gift by Bellow now I have decided against more Bellow. He is not the kind of author I could "binge-read" as the kids say.   

Instead, I think I am going to read one of the two Agatha Christie books published in that year: Towards Zero or Death Comes as the End.  I don't own a copy of either but her books read so fast and they aren't very long, I hardly feel guilty about sneaking them into my reading now and again. :)



Alas, here in Southern California, there isn't much weather-wise to mark the Fall season so I am really pleased when there are prompts to help me direct my reading choices!  Do any of you read seasonally or do you, like me, let external forces nudge you in one direction or another?

10 comments:

  1. Not much marking fall here, either. I don't really read seasonally except for R.I.P.. I don't actually join any more, but spooky books in the fall are always appealing. Right now, I'm busy with some crafty projects, but reading is scheduled for all breaks. And the breaks for reading sometimes are longer than the crafting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment jenclair! I find I sometimes get the best reading done when I am "supposed" to be doing something else.

      Delete
  2. An Agatha Christie mystery is always a good idea! And I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Slade House. (So I know if I still want to read it.) Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lark! I will report back on Slade House forthwith! No shirking; IT WILL BE READ. :D

      Delete
  3. Love those vintage A Christie covers—I haven’t read either, but she is grande dame of her genre. I haven’t heard of Slate House so I’ll be interested to read your review and see whether I should get a copy myself. I have come to love RIP reading, although I just started last week myself. I also read Xmas books in Dec, but that’s about all the seasonality I go for. Happy RIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jane! Happy RIP back at'cha! Those Christie covers are fabulous, I agree. I am looking forward to giving them a whirl, especially since neither is a Miss Marple or Poirot mystery.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ruthiella, So many different kinds of reading challenges out there and more coming in 2019. The 1944 challenge seems like alot of fun. You pick a year and only read books published during that year. A way to read books you otherwise would never have thought of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kathy! Yes, there are so many challenges and read-a-thons available which can be a lot of fun. I wish I had time to participate in more than just these few.

      Delete
  5. I read Slade House last year. It was fun enough, but I didn't think it was outstanding. I hope you enjoy it.
    I always love Christie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment carol! I agree, Christie always is a winner. :D

      Delete