Sunday, March 3, 2019

March Mystery Madness 2019




 Duh, I could have posted this in February... 

I am going to participate in the 2019 March Mystery Madness which was created by booktubers Lizzy Faye Loves Books and Troi Towel and is co-hosted by a slew of other booktubers.  I did it last year and it really helped me get to some of those mysteries that have been languishing on my shelves for uh, DECADES in some cases... 

The five prompts are: OLD, AGAIN, NEW, BORROWED and BLUE plus one bonus prompt. My interpretation of the prompts are as follows:
  • I am going to read an OLD Golden Age Mystery by Josephine Tey. I can pick from these three titles of hers that I still have yet to read: The Singing Sands, To Love and Be Wise or A Shilling for Candles.
  • I will give Elizabeth George a chance AGAIN. Especially since blogger Whatmeread indicated that George returns to form after a couple of real stinkers with her 19th in the Inspector Lynley series. However, I still have to read the possibly not great 18th title which is A Banquet of Consequences first. 
  • I might choose the NEW to me author Natsuo Kirino and her novel Out.
  • I will probably BORROW from the library the next book I have to read in the Ameila Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters called Lion in the Valley
  • I would like to read Life Sentences by Laura Lippman which has a BLUE cover.
BONUS: Read a mystery with a wedding in it.  I'm going to take a gamble here and hope that Mma Ramotswe and Mr. Matekoni get hitched in the fourth book titled The Kalahari Typing School for Men.

Any thoughts on the books I've chosen or any plans yourself to read any mysteries soon? 😃

8 comments:

  1. I love your plans for Mystery Madness! I'd like to read more Josephine Tey and yes, I'd like to see if Elizabeth George is returning to form. Reading mysteries is an all year thing for me, but maybe I'll think about selecting books with a narrative theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment jenclair! You do read mysteries all year round of course. :D

      I really am looking forward to reading another Tey novel. They are all so different from one another which is fun. Crossing my fingers that A Banquet of Consequences does not totally suck.

      Delete
  2. What a fun reading challenge. All the books on your list sound like fun. Happy Reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lark! It will be fun. I like mysteries and wish I read more of them so I am thankful for this challenge/kick-in-the-pants. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ruthiella, I love mysteries and these are really great prompts, I like the way you have interpreted these categories too, borrowed meaning checking a book out from the library and blue meaning the color of the book jacket and so the word blue doesn't have to necessarily appear in the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kathy! I tried to be pretty loose about the prompts since I aim to try and read all the books but one from my personal collection! :D

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun month 'o reading--I love my October mystery month. I'm an Amelia Peabody fan--such a good series. I haven't read a #1 Detective series book in quite awhile so I cannot remember when the happy couple tie the knot.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jane! The Amelia Peabody books are pure fun, aren't they?

      October is also a good time to dive into mysteries! I failed at RIP last year but will for sure give it another go this fall. :D

      Delete