Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Back to the Classics Challenge 2019: Barnaby Rudge

I will lead in with what everyone notes about Barnaby Rudge: it is probably Dickens’ least popular novel.  The introduction by John Bowen the Penguin Classic edition that I read gave some explanations for this and the one that made the most sense to me was that Dickens’ prior phenomenal success with The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, Nicolas Nickleby and The Old Curiosity Shop got in the way of his fifth novel.  Had it been his debut, Dickens would probably have been pleased with the results, but while it sold well, but couldn't touch the run-away popularity of his previous works, in particular, The Old Curiosity Shop.  Furthermore, Barnaby Rudge was inspired by the historical novels of Sir Walter Scott and I also agree with other readers that the adherence to a standard historical romance sort of cramped Dickens’ style.

While  Barnaby Rudge might not make the tippy-top of my list of favorite Dickens’ oeuvres,  I enjoyed the novel  more than I initially anticipated and I learned a lot since I knew nothing of the historical events depicted.  Also, for the fans, it has plenty of typical Dickens flourishes such as out-sized characters, comedic relief, amazing coincidences and biting social commentary.  

The book opens in 1775 cozily enough with a ghost story told in the Maypole Inn in Chigwell, about 20 miles outside of London.  The story is about an infamous murder that took place at the nearby Haredale estate some 15 years earlier. The estate is now run by the murdered man's brother, Catholic Gregory Hardale. Haredale is also responsible for his orphaned niece, Emma. At the Maypole, the reader is introduced to the blowhard inn-proprietor John Willet and his much put-upon son Joe. Later, we meet the true-hearted locksmith Mr. Varden and his shrewish wife and beautiful daughter (loved by Joe Willet) as well as the smooth and wily Mr. Chester and his noble son Edmund (who loves Emma Hardale). The titular character, Barnaby, is a young man we would probably term developmentally disabled now. He lives in London with his widowed mother but spends lots of time at Chigwell as well. 

Once everyone is established, the story then jumps five years later to the events leading up to the Gordon Riots which were violent, anti-Catholic demonstrations that took place in London.   Dickens being Dickens, he naturally manages to involve every character in the riots in some manner and tie up all the disparate narrative strands neatly by the end. 

I think this is possible the most violent Dickens I have ever read. Even more so that A Tale of Two Cities.  My favorite character was Hugh, who is actually one of the villains of the book.  I found him to be frighteningly realistic and also terribly pathetic.  

Also, for a nice note of trivia, Barnaby has a pet raven named Grip who often steals the show in the novel. Allegedly Grip inspired Edgar Allen Poe years later when he penned his possibly most famous poem The Raven. 

This book is my first completed book for the The Back to the Classics Challenge 2019 run by Karen at Books and Chocolate for the 19th Century Classic category. 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthiella, Good commentary on this book. Never read Walter Scott but I know he was a big influence on the writers of the time, including Dickens. It sounds like the readers of Charles Dickens after Pickwick Papers and Old Curiosity Shop were not prepared for the violence in Barnaby Ridge or just it was a different novel than they were expecting. Congratulations on completing this book for the Challenge reminds me I have some 700 page whoppers I put on my list and better get to work. LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kathy! I've never read any Walter Scott either. I just know the title Ivanhoe.

      Yes, Lark mentioned in a previous comment that it was maybe wise for me to read one of my longer books first! Next up are very slim books for the challenge to catch me up! :D

      Delete
  2. I've never read Barnaby Rudge; now I might have make a trip to the library! Thanks for the trivia about Grip and Edgar Allen Poe--I love that kind of trivia. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment jenclair! I am really hoping that piece of trivia pays off some day! :D

      Delete
  3. I've never even heard of this Dickens novel! But I love that there's a raven in it...and that it's what might have inspired Poe's poem. If I found Dickens more enjoyable reading I'd pick this one up just for the raven. But... ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lark! Unfortunately there is no marvelous adaption of Barnaby Rudge that I can point you toward in lieu of reading it! :D

      Delete
  4. An excellent review, but I'm not yet persuaded I should take it up again. I quit after the heroine was assaulted and didn't tell anybody. The prospect of waiting 200 or 300 pages for whatever truth to come out was too daunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Major! Sorry I couldn't persuade you LOL. Luckily there is plenty more great 19th century literature to choose from :D

      Delete
  5. Excellent review, Ruthiella, you almost persuade me to read it! I didn’t like The Old Curiosity Shop anywhere near like I enjoyed some of his others. I haven’t read Pickwick or the one you reviewed but I haven’t read much Dickens recently, substituting Trollope instead. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Carol! Aw, I couldn't persuade you either? Ha ha. Barnaby might be best for Dickens diehards like me. :D

      Trollope is wonderful too! I am planning on reading one of his titles for another Back to the Classics category later.

      Delete
  6. I'm dying to get to Trollope. Everyone blogging around me has read almost everything he's written. I will get there, too.
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog, mostly so that I could have the pleasure of discovering your blog. You're on my blogroll now, thank goodness. I will leave more comments tomorrow, because I've enjoyed perusing a number of posts.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Judith! I was so glad to discover your blog and make a new bookish friend. You will hopefully love Trollope. He is really an adorable writer!

      Delete
  7. Hi Ruthiella,
    I am leaving yet another post today, the weekend now. You know, it's embarrassing to say that I didn't even know that Dickens wrote Barnaby Rudge. It does sound interesting. Yet Bleak House is still on my TBR list and I'm supposed to read A Tale of Two Cities this year. At least I said I would, for the Back to the Classics Challenge. Thank you for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, I only started reading Dickens well in to my middle age and I also didn't know about Barnaby Rudge when I first started reading his books! :D

      Delete
  8. Wow, I learned so much from this post, not least of which is that BR can be an enjoyable read. I have been putting off reading it for years now! I had no idea that it was a historical novel in the Scott style, which I find intriguing. The whole plot is fascinating. I love the tidbit about Grip the raven--that alone makes it a must-read for me. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jane! I think for a Dickens enthusiast like yourself, you will get a lot out of Barnaby Rudge.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm .... I still have this one to read. Luckily, like you, I tend to be open-minded with Dickens ..... his Martin Chuzzlewit is one of my favourites and it's certainly not his most popular by a long shot. I can't wait to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Cleo! Martin Chuzzlewit was the first Dickens I ever read and for that it will always have a special place in my heart! I think it is the long interlude in America that puts readers off. But I loved every word of it. :D

      Delete