Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The 1965 Club: At Betram's Hotel and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

I read two other books for The 1965 Club that I wanted to post about. The page count of the two books COMBINED is only a little more than half of the total page count of The Magus, which was refreshing.  I read both in a matter of a couple of days.  Also, both are by favorite authors of mine:


At Bertram’s Hotel by Agatha Christie is the third to last of the Miss Marple mysteries. It is probably not the best jumping in point for any reader who is new to Miss Marple since it is fairly slow and the murder comes only very near the end.  Miss Marple, however,  is my favorite of Christie’s detectives and I unreservedly love all the books which feature her.  I just wish Christie had written more Marple mysteries for me to enjoy.  

The story is that Miss Marple spends a fortnight at Bertram’s Hotel as a gift from her nephew and his wife.  Miss Marple spent time at the hotel as a girl at the turn of the century and at first is delighted to discover that the establishment is practically unchanged since the Edwardian era. There is quite a bit of discussion in the book about how times have changed, in particular how young women of a certain class are not looked after by their mothers as they should. 

However, soon our elderly sleuth starts to notice that the hotel is too perfect …or rather a facsimile of an Edwardian Era hotel; she begins to wonder what the hotel is fronting behind its facade. Meanwhile, the London police are also taking a closer look at Betram's since it has been linked ever so tenuously to some recent heists. But it isn’t until absentminded Canon Pennyfather, who was staying at the hotel, goes missing that the mystery really starts. 


God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut could have been written today it many respects. It is an angry satire about greed and America.  But it was to me mostly message and not a lot of story.  Personally I think Slaughterhouse-Five and/or Cat’s Cradle are better crafted.  But this short book might be like music to your ears if you are left-leaning and appalled by the lack of compassion in much of the current political scene in the West. 

The story (what story there is) is about two men named Rosewater.  The first one is Eliot Rosewater, who is the beneficiary of an enormous corporate trust fund, the Rosewater Foundation, which he is barred from managing but from which he reaps the cash rewards. The other man is Fred Rosewater, a distant relative of Eliot, who sells insurance and while not poor, is decidedly not rich. An ambitious lawyer working at the Rosewater Foundation realizes that if he can get Eliot deemed incompetent and convince Fred to sue as the legitimate recipient of the Foundation’s funds, he (the lawyer) can make a pile of cash on the lawsuit and subsequent transaction. 

There is a lot of quotable stuff in this book, but the t-shirt slogan and truest message of the book is this one, when Eliot is asked how he would baptize children. This is pure Vonnegut: 

'Sprinkle some water on the babies, say, "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule I know of, babies-: God damn it, you've got to be kind.'"

20 comments:

  1. I'd probably prefer the Christie to the Vonnegut. After reading Slaughterhouse Five in my twenties I never really wanted to dive into his other books. I didn't hate it exactly, but I didn't love it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lark! No author is for every reader but I can especially see where many readers would be turned off by Vonnegut's style. I like his satire which is so pessimistic and yet in my opinion underlined with a real love for humanity.

      Delete
    2. I should probably try him again now that I'm older. I'd probably appreciate his satiric style more now.

      Delete
    3. If you do try him again, at least his books are short! :D

      Delete
  2. You and I may be reading the same books, but you're doing it faster! ;-)

    Though I agree with you that Rosewater is relatively weak for Vonnegut, and I wasn't actually thinking about rereading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment reese! We are 1965 Club reading twins! :D

      Delete
  3. I still think of Slaughterhouse-Five, but think I might take a miss on Mr. Rosewater. I do think I should read Cat's Cradle, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment jenclair! Cat's Cradle is worth reading for Bokonoism, a crazy made up religion and the concept of a karass, which I ocassionally find referenced in other writing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ruthiella, I think this is such a neat idea to pick a random year and then read books published during that year. I too am more of a Christie than a Vonnegut fan but then again I read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five in high school and I remember finding it difficult to get through and ever since I've had this feeling that all of his books would be like that. Maybe its time to retry Slaughterhouse Five. I might find this second time around that its much more readable than I've imagined all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kathy! Vonnegut's writing style is particular for sure. I think the first Vonnegut book I read was Bluebeard, though it may have been Slaughterhouse-Five. It's been so long! For whatever reason, his storytelling really appealed to me as a young adult. But I never "had" to read him...I think that also makes a difference!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sad that I missed this "club" meeting! There seemed to be quite a few interesting books published that year. I'm going through my chronological Christie reads but I'm nowhere near Betram's Hotel ... I'm still at about 1925. However I remember how much I enjoyed it from your review. Looking forward to seeing what you'll choose to read next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Cleo! A chronological read through Christie's detective fiction sounds like so much fun! I only read them here and there, mostly as comfort reads.

      Delete
  6. I've never read a Marple book. Any recommendation for a first one?? I also like the idea of taking books from a certain year & working through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Carol! I think with Miss Marple I would start with A Murder is Announced or The Mirror Crack'd. The "Year" club is fun to do. The next year has already been chosen: 1930!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I just saw that Murder at the Vicarage was written in 1930...not to mention two Sayers books.

      Delete
    3. Oh good! I hope you will join in in November! It's pretty simple, just post about the book and then provide the link on Simon's blog (Stuck in a Book). The 1930 Club will be in November 2019. :D

      Delete
  7. I call myself a Poirot fan, but I have not read Marple's mysteries, only seen the series with Langsbury.
    As for this Vonnegut, I think my second one will be the one I bought, The Sirens of Titans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Silvia! I love Poirot too. I just love Agatha Christie.

      And I love Vonnegut. His books are so wierd and crazy but so full of heart too.

      Delete