Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Towards Zero by Agatha Christie - The 1944 Club

Oh I had such ambitions for the 1944 Club but as the saying goes, the best laid plans of mice and men…  I hope I do get to Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge one of these days and I have The Dangling Man by Saul Bellow gathering dust here on my shelf. What I did manage to read was Towards Zero by the inimitable Agatha Christie.
I love Agatha Christie. All of her mysteries are fairly short and a total breeze to read. I always desperately want to know who did the crime and I almost never guess right.  
The book starts off rather slowly and confusedly, starting first with a semi-retired octogenarian solicitor named Mr. Treves ruminating on the many threads that lead up towards a murder,
‘“All the converging towards a given spot…And then when the time comes – over the top! Zero Hour. Yes all of them converging towards zero…” He repeated: “Towards Zero..”  Then he gave a a quick little shudder.’  
Then the scene moves to a man who made failed suicide attempt now convalescing in hospital and then to Superintendent Battle (one of Christies lesser known and lesser used detectives) solving a boarding school theft involving his teenage daughter by using psychology. The reader may wonder what is going on. Where are the dead bodies?
But then the story starts to move in to classic Christie mystery mode as a summer house party at  Gull’s Point, home of  widowed Lady Tressilian, starts to form.  For the cast of characters there are living at Gull’s Point  Lady Tressilian, bedridden but still formidable (and rich), and her companion, Mary Aldin who may not be as willing to give up her best years to playing nursemaid to an old woman as she seems.  Coming for a fortnight’s visit is Lady Tressilian’s former ward and heir, Neville Strange and his new, rather vulgar (and much younger) wife, Kay, Neville’s ex-wife, the long suffering Audrey and Thomas Royde who grew up with Audrey and has been carrying a torch for her for decades. Finally, turning up like a bad penny is lothario Ted Latimer who has the hots for Kay.
What could possibly go wrong?
Christie does a good job keeping the tension high and when the murder does happen, I was surprised at who was killed because it really could have been any of them; everyone’s tempers were quite frayed by that point.
The resolution of the mystery and romantic pairings are perhaps a little too convenient but honestly I don’t mind that. I had a lot of fun being duped by the red herrings and enjoying the upper class scene of pre-war Britain.
Many thanks to Simon at Stuck in a Book and Karen at Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings for starting the club.  Even though I didn't get to everything I intended this time, it is always good fun thinking about the possible reading choices and checking out what other people read for the prompt!

13 comments:

  1. I like how many people - myself included - toyed with reading the Saul Bellow and didn't! I don't know anything about this Christie, and thus foolishly assumed it wasn't a good one, but it sounds like maybe I should get mine off the shelf...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Simon! Poor Saul Bellow...LOL

      I think for a Christie fan like yourself, you will very much enjoy this title if you do read it, even if it is a tad weak at the end.

      Delete
  2. I'd forgotten about Elizabeth Goudge! I read several of her books years (and years) ago, but only remember that I enjoyed them. Maybe I should challenge myself to some rereading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment jenclair! There is an Elizabeth Goudge Day event in the blogosphere in April that you should take part in next year (and so should I!). This will help us both get to those Goudge books we have been meaning to read. It is hosted by Howling Frog Books and Jorie Loves a Story

      Delete
  3. I do love Agatha Christie! This one sounds particularly fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lark! I thought this book was a lot of fun. It definitely kept me guessing. :D

      Delete
    2. I can never figure out her books! Even when I really try.

      Delete
  4. That’s why I read mysteries—to try to guess whodunit, to have fun being duped, and enjoying the interesting settings. There are so many Christies I haven’t read, and this is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jane! I know, Christie wrote a TON. That is what is fun about this kinds of read-alongs and prompts. It helps me get to those books that tend to languish otherwise.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of that Christie title but that's not saying much as I was late to her books. I'm reading that Goudge book at present & it's very good. It's published as 'Green Dolphin Country' here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Carol! I know you are more of a Tey fan anyway. :D

      Glad to hear Green Dolphin Country/Green Dolphin Street is good! I must get to it next year. Maybe I will take part in Elizabeth Goudge Day in April 2019 if it happens.

      Delete
  6. This is one I haven't read. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kay! It was a fun read. :D

      Delete