Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Back to the Classics Challenge 2018: Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes


This title was recommended to me by blogger Kathy at Reading Matters in her review of The Witch of Blackbird Pond.  In that review, Kathy mentioned that Johnny Tremain was a a children's classic  in which the child protagonist was allowed to be imperfect, which made for a more complex and ultimately more fulfilling reading experience. 

So imagine my surprise and joy when I discovered that I actually had a copy of the book! I am not sure how I obtained it. It might have actually belonged to one of my siblings and just migrated to me. The copy I read does not have the Newbery stamp in gold foil on the front (unlike the pictured version in this post ) and it is priced at only $3.50, so it must have been first purchased sometime in the late 70's/early 80s.   

I agree with Kathy that Johnny is an interesting and realistic character. He is not idealized and he does not always make the "right" decision.  His arrogance gets him into trouble more than once. But he is also quick thinking and loyal which earns him friends and support when he most needs it.

For a book aimed at 12 year olds written 75 years ago, I thought the story was pretty gripping reading it as an adult now!  Only the last chapter sort of loses the plot a bit.  I was a little disappointed that the book completely sidesteps the issue of slavery but I guess that is not uncommon for a book written in the 1940's. 

The story takes place on the cusp of the American Revolution in Boston. Johnny becomes involved with many of the key players in that conflict, such as Paul Revere and John Hancock and he also takes part in certain events like the Boston Tea Party. There were quite a few names that I had to google; if I learned about them in elementary school, I have since forgotten.  

I read this book for the Back to the Classics Challenge 2018 hosted by Karen on the blog Books and Chocolate for the "Children's Classic" category.  

12 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthiella, Thrilled that you chose this book based on my recommendation and I definitely want to read and review one of the many books you have excellently blogged about. Good point about the Johnny Tremain novel sidestepping the issue of slavery. Young adult novels today are more realistic in dealing with our country's past as it really was and that's necessary. For me the great thing about Johnny Tremain was Johnny himself. He was only 14 but fully adult in many ways, an arrogant young man who suffers a devastating blow and headed for a tragic life but thanks to a good friend he met and the American Revolution which gave his life purpose he could turn his life around. So glad you read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kathy! I am really glad I read this! It was such serendipity to read your review and then actually come across a copy in my house (not to mention having this fulfil one of the Back to the Classics categories). Clearly this was meant to be! :D

      Delete
  2. I loved it! I think my love of history was a direct result of books like Johnny Tremain. It is good to know that it still can serve as both a good story and a history hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment jenclair! Yes, this book totally holds up as a good story and was educational as well! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never read this one, but my sister had a copy when we were growing up and read it a lot. I wonder if she still has it lying around somewhere. I'll have to ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lark! I really wonder where my copy came from...I am pretty sure it was not mine because I read everything back then. It was an engaging read if you ever want to give it a try.

      Delete
  4. Never read this, not sure where I would start for a classics read xxx

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lainy! There are so many books to choose from in Classics! I doubt I will ever run out. :)

      Delete
  5. I never read this as a youth, but my three kids all read it in middle school and I fully intended to read it as well as I like the time frame. But I haven't yet. Good to know it is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jane! It is a quick read if you do decide to pick it up. :D

      Delete
  6. I read this book to my kids quite a few years ago & we all loved it. The Witch of Blackbird Pond was a great read also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Carol! I will have to check out The Witch of Blackbird Pond too! :)

      Delete